Across fjords and out to islands: ferries are a vital part of traveling along the coast of Northern Norway.
Due to the large distances in Northern Norway, many people enjoy spending their holidays here in a car. Below you will find some of the important car ferries, sorted by geography, south to north.
- Ferry routes in Nordland fylke (county) are listed on Reis Nordland.
- Ferry routes in Troms and Finnmark fylke (county) is listed on Tromskortet.
The Coastal Route
- Vennesund – Holm
- Andalsvåg – Horn
- Tjøtta – Forvik
- Nesna – Levang
- Jektvik- Kilboghamn On this long sailing, you pass the Arctic Circle.
- Forøy – Ågskardet
Other car ferries in Helgeland-Salten
- Igerøy-Horn is the connection to the island of Vega
- Søvik- Herøy is the connection to the island community of Herøy
- Stokkvågen – Træna Connection to the outermost island of Træna
- Festvåg – Misten short crossing for visiting historic Kjerringøy
- Drag-Kjøpsvik connection across the Tysfjord.
On the E6
The main north-south artery has one single ferry crossing left, with numerous departures.
Lofoten and Vesterålen
The archipelagos are now bridged with the mainland. However, some ferry crossings shorten the trip considerably.
- Bognes – Lødingen From the E6 towards Harstad and Vesterålen. Also a good alternative if the fery Bodø-Værøy Moskenes is full
- Melbu-Fiskebøl From the Lofoten Islands to the Vesterålen Islands.
- Bodø-Værøy-Røst-Moskenes Much-used connection to the southern end of the Lofoten chain. Pre-booking is a good idea.
Island of Senja
Summer-only ferries make for helpful ferry crossings from other destinations.
- Andenes-Gryllefjord (towards the islands of Vesterålen and Lofoten)
- Botnham-Brensholmen (towards the city of Tromsø)
Troms and Finnmark
Bridges and tunnels have made many ferries obsolete, but look out for the following:
- Flesnes-Refsnes Useful between Harstad and the Vesterålen Island
- Sørrollnes-Stangnes Useful from Harstad to the mainland when heading north.
- Breivikeidet-Svensby og Lyngseidet Olderdalen Useful from Tromsø towards Alta and the North Cape
- Øksfjord-Hasvik For travellers to the island of Sørøya
- In winter there is usually plenty of capacity
- Popular ferry crossings, notably to Lofoten and Senja, are sometimes full in summer, and cars are left behind.
- Car reservations are accepted at some crossings, not at others.
- Cancellations due to bad weather happen, but not very often.
- We overtake no liability for information on this page