Across fjords and out to islands: ferries are a vital part of traveling along the coast of Northern Norway.
Due to the large distances in Northern Norway, many people enjoy spending their holidays here in a car. Below you will find some of the important car ferries, sorted by geography.
The Coastal Route
The fantastic Coastal Route from Central Norway to Bodø has a number of ferry crossings. A comprehensive overview is found here: http://www.kystriksveien.no/?page=ferjeruter
- Vennesund – Holm
- Andalsvåg – Horn
- Tjøtta – Forvik
- Nesna – Levang
- Jektvik – Sørfjord – Stokkvågen
- Forøy – Ågskardet
Other car ferries in Helgeland-Salten
- Stokkvågen – Træna www.boreal.no
- Sandnessjøen – Dønna www.boreal.no
- Festvåg – Misten www.torghatten-nord.no
- Drag-Kjøpsvik www.torghatten-nord.no
On the E6
The main north-south artery has one single ferry crossing left, with numerous departures.
- Bognes – Skarberget http://www.thn.no/
Lofoten and Vesterålen
The archipelagos are now bridged with the mainland. However, some ferry crossings shorten the trip considerably.
- Bognes – Lødingen http://www.thn.no/
- Melbu-Fiskebøl http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/18-732.htm
- Bodø-Værøy-Røst-Moskenes http://www.thn.no/
Island of Senja
Summer-only ferries make for helpful ferry crossings from other destinations http://senjafergene.no/ag-no-rutetider.htm
- Andenes-Gryllefjord (towards the islands of Vesterålen/Lofoten)
- Stornes-Skrolsvik (towards the city of Harstad)
- Botnham-Brensholmen (towards the city of Tromsø)
Troms and Finnmark
Bridges and tunnels have made many ferries obsolete, but look out for the following:
- Flesnes-Refsnes http://ruteinfo.thn.no/no/default.aspx?rnr=103
- Sørrollnes-Stangnes http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/19-120.htm
- Breivikeidet-Svensby og Lyngseidet Olderdalen (Tromsø toward the North Cape) http://www.bjorklid.no
- Øksfjord-Hasvik http://www.fjord1.no/default.asp?page=517
- In winter there is usually plenty of capacity
- Popular ferry crossings, notably to Lofoten and Senja, are sometimes full in summer, and cars are left behind.
- Car reservations are accepted at some crossings, not at others.
- Cancellations due to bad weather happen, but not very often.
- We overtake no liability for information on this page